WorkplanThe SARTRE project is organised in six work packages.
Time PlanThe SARTRE project starts in September 2009 and ends in September 2012. The time plan for the different work packets are defined in months (M) from project start.
The objective of WP1 is management of the entire project.
The management task will countinue during the whole project time, from M1 to M36.
WP2: Concept Definition
The objective of this work package is to conduct all preparation work, which is necessary in order to start with the implementation of the system. This includes concept definition, analysis of the platooning strategies and human behaviour, safety analysis and the specification of the system to be implemented. This requires the definition of what are the components and modules composing the system and how they are connected on each prototype vehicle, and what are the tasks for each component or module.
The Concept definition task will start in M1 and end in M9.
The objective here is to develop and integrate a prototype system that meets the requirements defined in WP2. This includes the integration of sensor systems to provide a view of the vehicle envelope, the development and integration of the control mechanisms that provide the longitudinal and latitudinal control of the following vehicles and the development of the overall platoon manager.
To facilitate this it is critical that the communication system to be used between the vehicles in the road-train is integrated in an appropriate and robust manner. This includes communication between the leader vehicle and the followers and also communication between following vehicles. Vehicle-to-infrastructure communication is also considered and concerns mainly the lead vehicle.
The Impementation task will start in M5 and end in M27.
WP4 will perform a complete validation of the system developed in the WP3 through physical testing in laboratories and proving grounds with the final objective of ensuring the correct operation of the subsystems and the optimal integration of them.
Additional objectives can be foreseen:
- identify the suitable tools for the evaluation of the new system developed
- quantify the problems which might appear under real / close to real traffic conditions
- provide guidelines to solve these problems
- ensure the integration of systems and boundary conditions
- evaluate the added value of the complete system in terms of fuel consumption improvement.
The Validation task will start in M26 and end in M35.
This work package will integrate all the activities related to the further impact of the system being developed, with the objective of showing the need of implementing them as useful systems for handling safety and emissions.
Three sub-objectives are:
- knowing the commercial impact of the system and the possible means of implement it
- quantifying the impact of the system in real traffic situations, from the infrastructure and the emissions points of view
- defining a plan including specific policies to exploit the system being developed
The Assessment task will start in M30 and en in M36.
This work package will focus on bringing information and results of the project to public awareness. Besides, seminars and workshops with all relevant stakeholder groups will be held throughout the duration of SARTRE.
- To bring information and results of the SARTRE project to public awareness
- To establish fruitful discussions with various users and target groups
- To obtain feedback from users and target groups
- To prepare Technology Implementation Plans
The dissemination task will continue during the entire project.